Hôtel de Beauvais, 5 facts that have remained in history

Hôtel de Beauvais, 5 facts that have remained in history

Located in the Marais district, on charming Rue François-Miron, the Hôtel de Beauvais is a masterpiece of 17th-century architecture. Classified as a historic monument, it has housed the Paris Administrative Court of Appeal since 2004. Although this public building is generally not open to the public, it is possible to admire its inner courtyard and façades by politely asking the guards at the entrance. It should also be noted that the interior of the Hôtel de Beauvais is usually accessible to the public during Heritage Days.

In 1654, Monsieur and Madame de Beauvais acquired the property, which then belonged to Nicolas Fiquet’s wife, the Superintendent of Finances (a high-ranking official responsible for authorizing state expenditures). In 1656, it was transformed into a sumptuous private mansion, with the work entrusted to Antoine Le Pautre, the king’s chief architect.

Madame de Beauvais, born Catherine Bellier, was a favorite of the queen. As Anne of Austria’s first lady-in-waiting, Baroness de Beauvais was among her most trusted confidantes. It was she who, at the queen’s request, deflowered the young King Louis XIV, who was only sixteen years old… Such service certainly deserved a reward! It was from this balcony that the queen mother, Mazarin, and Turenne witnessed the entry of Louis XIV and his young wife Marie-Thérèse into Paris in 1660.

AN ARCHITECTURAL MARVEL – After admiring the grand 17th-century façade of the Hôtel de Beauvais from the street, step into the interior courtyard, a true architectural masterpiece. Here, you’ll notice ram’s heads adorning the façade, a nod to the maiden name of Baroness de Beauvais, Catherine Bellier. The building’s shape is equally original. Constructed on an irregular plot, architect Le Pautre embraced the asymmetry of the land, crafting concave and undulating façades. A remarkably successful puzzle! The hall, embellished with columns and carved stone bas-reliefs, is another standout feature of the building.

Later, the Bavarian ambassador, who had acquired the mansion, hosted the Mozart family there in 1763. The irregular terrain necessitated an inventive layout, particularly for the semi-oval courtyard. The five doors adorned with mascaron masks—small decorative faces—once led to the former stables. The staircase, with its wrought-iron railing, is also noteworthy. Sadly, none of the lavish 18th-century interior décor remains. For many years now, the building has housed the Paris Administrative Court of Appeal.

Hôtel de Beauvais, 68 rue François-Miron

The Saint-Gervais district has preserved the layout of its medieval streets: rue François-Miron, rue des Barres, and others.