Résumé

At 10 rue Pavée is the Synagogue (architect Hector Guimard, 1913). In the Art Nouveau style, it was built at the time when Ashkenazi Jews who had taken refuge in the neighborhood from Central Europe were settling. It is a perfect example of "the transition between the modern style and the style of the 1920s: the harmony is total between the rigor of a reinforced concrete construction, the simplicity of the ornamentation, the elegance of the curves and counter-curves of the façade" (B. Oudin).

Localisation
Open hours

No closing time except for maintenance

Access

line 1 (Station Saint Paul Saint)

Address

Rue Pavée
75004 Paris

Coordinates Latitude Longitude
Sexagesimal (°, ', ") 48° 51′ 23″ N 2° 21′ 39″ E
Degré décimal (GPS) 48.85651 2.36103
Description complète

Pavée-street in le Marais is a street located in the heart of the district, in the 4th arrondissement of Paris. It links rue de Rivoli to rue des Francs-Bourgeois, from which it is extended by rue Payenne.

Origin of the name

In 1235, the part between the rue du Roi-de-Sicile and the rue des Francs-Bourgeois already existed, and was called "rue du Petit-Marivaux".
Renamed in 1406 "rue du Petit-Marais", then "rue Marivaux", its name was replaced around 1450 by "rue Pavée-au-Marais", then "rue Pavée". At the end of the 20th century, one could read on the even side  "Rue Pavée au Marais".

Other Parisian "paved streets" have been named in this way: on the left bank, for example, a "rue Pavée" existed for a long time, as early as 1300, which became "rue Pavée-Saint-André-des-Arts".

Remarkable buildings and places of memory of the Pavée-street in the Marais

The Pavée-street in le Marais was posh and lined with private mansions (Hôtel de Brienne, Hôtel de Savoisy) of which only the Hôtel d'Angoulême  remains. It is located at nr 24, and today houses the Bibliothèque historique de la Ville de Paris.

  • At nr. 10 stands a synagogue, built in 1913 by the Parisian master of Art Nouveau, Hector Guimard (known for his famous subway entrances). In 1941, the building was dynamited by anti-Semitic collaborators of the Nazi occupation. It was later restored. Orthodox synagogue not consistorial, it is not visited
  • At nr. 11 and 13 is built a beautiful mansion (Louis XIII style door at no. 11, and Louis XV style door at no. 13), built by Mansart de Jouy (1737). Demolished in 1404, then rebuilt in 1517 by Morlet de Museau, adviser to the King, it was the residence of the Duke of Norfolk, English ambassador in 1533, and then of Admiral de Brion (1543), a companion of François 1st during his captivity. The hotel, then called "de Loiraine", belongs to Charles III, Duke of Lorraine.  The hotel was bought by François Dauvet, president of the Parliament, and dismembered.
    The building now houses a religious school of strict observance, the Yad-Mordechai yeshiva, where the study of Torah is practiced in accordance with the Halakha, which requires the wearing of a yarmulke and tzits.)
  • At nr 12 was the small hotel of Brienne, formerly called the hotel of Chavigny, which was incorporated into the Prison of Petite-Force, under the ministry of Jacques Necker. François Denis Tronchet (1726-1806), president of the Senate and one of Louis XVI's lawyers, lived and died there. The Companionship Union, founded in 1875 by Agricol Perdiguier, had its headquarters there, bringing together, initiated according to a single rite, cooks, butchers, pastry chefs, gilders, sculptors, etc.
  • The 16 to 22 of the Pavée street in le Marais correspond to the former location of the Petite-Force prison. Its destruction at the beginning of the 19th century allowed the digging of the rue Malher.
  • At nr 24, the Hôtel d'Angoulême Lamoignon (former Hôtel d'Angoulême) houses the Bibliothèque historique de la ville de Paris. Its plans were commissioned in 1559 by François de Pisseleu, abbot of Saint-Corneille near Compiègne. From 1584 Diane de France, daughter of King Henry II, became the new owner. The Duchess of Angouleme lived in the hotel until her death in 1619. In 1650, the hotel was sold to Guillaume de Lamoignon, first president of the Parliament of Paris, who had it fitted out by the architect Robert de Cotte.
    Residence of Alphonse Daudet in 1867, it was the center of literary mondanities. The communist Marie La Cécilia lived at this number towards the end of her life in 1893.
  • Madame Denis, born Marie Louise Mignot, niece of Voltaire, who had a passionate love affair with him, lived in Pavée-street in le Marais
  • A convent of girls, called "Nouvelles catholiques", was located in the street in 1647 before moving to rue Sainte-Anne and being dismantled in 1790.
Static Code
[[booking]]
  • No comments yet.
  • Add a review

    You May Also Be Interested In