Résumé

Rue des Francs-Bourgeois features the private mansions at nos. 31 bis to 29, 30 and 26. The chapel at the end of the garden at no. 29 is a former tower of Philippe Auguste's enceinte, the rue des Francs-Bourgeois having replaced the old road outside this enceinte.

Localisation
Access

Rue Des Francs Bourgeois
75003 and 75004 Paris

  • Metro - Line 1 (Saint-Paul, Bastille or Hôtel de Ville stations) - Line 7 (Pont Marie and Sully-Morland) - Line 8 (Chemin Vert and Bastille) - Line 5 (Bastille) - Line 11 (Hôtel de Ville station)
  • Bus : Lines 29-72-76-86-87-91

 

Address

Rue Des Francs Bourgeois
75003 et 75004 Paris

Coordinates Latitude Longitude
Sexagesimal (°, ', ") 48° 51′ 29″ N 2° 21′ 36″ E
Degré décimal (GPS) 48.85793 2.36025
Description complète

The Francs-Bourgeois Street in Paris goes from the Place des Vosges to the intersection of the Rue Rambuteau and the Rue des Archives. This street partly separates the 3rd and 4th arrondissements of Paris, the odd numbers belonging to the 4th and the even numbers to the 3rd.

The Francs-Bourgeois Street in the heart of the Marais district

The Francs-Bourgeois Street crosses the historical district of the Marais, on the route of the old Philippe Auguste's wall. Walking along it is the occasion for a beautiful stroll. The walker can admire the facades of the sumptuous private mansions (Soubise, Rohan-Strasbourg...- see below), visit the National Archives and their gardens, the Carnavalet museum (or even the Picasso museum, also included in the walk ....). Punctuated with stores, bars and restaurants, it is a lively street where you can also discover many signs dedicated to perfume.

Where does the original name of the street come from

This Francs-Bourgeois Street already existed in the 14th century under the name "rue des poulies" because of the weavers installed and especially their looms. It took its current name after the foundation, in 1334, of "almshouses" whose occupants, freed from taxes because of their poor resources, were called "francs-bourgeois". One of them was called "Maison des Francs-Bourgeois". It was a hospital for miserable bourgeois. It was extended in 1545, and several sections had different names. Of course, during the Revolution, it was named (temporarily) "rue des Francs Citoyens".

Finally, if originally, the Francs-Bourgeois Street went from the rue Vieille-du-Temple to the rue Payenne, under the Second Empire, its name was definitively given to the streets that extended it and whose names disappeared as a result between the rue des Archives and the rue de Turenne and place des Vosges.

For a long time, the privae mansions and buildings along the street were occupied by workshops and industries, which made it not very pleasant to frequent. The Francs-Bourgeois Street is now a very commercial street with many high-end fashion stores.

Remarkable buildings of Francs-Bourgeois Street

Note: the numbering of this street starts at n° 1 on the Place des Vosges side and ends at n° 60 at the corner of the rue des Archives (and where the Musée des Archives Nationales - Hôtel de Soubise is located).

No 1: the current building is recent (1929) but is on the site of a pavilion built in 1607 at the back of the Place des Vosges which was classified as a historical monument on September 22, 1922 along with the entire Place des Vosges.
Nos. 2: building from the end of the 17th century, refaced around 1800
Nos 3 to 19 (odd side): 17th century houses.
No 8: Hôtel d'Argouges from the first half of the 17th century. Commemorative plaque indicating the place as the lodging of Louis Daniel Beauperthuy during his studies.
12: site of the Francs-Bourgeois barracks which was occupied by the gendarmerie.

No. 14: from February 1794, on his return from Bordeaux, that the revolutionary Jean-Lambert Tallien lives there.
No. 24: Isidore Kargeman, one of the Children of Izieu, lives there with his father, Szlama Krgeman, and his mother, Sonia Kargeman. All three were deported to Auschwitz, where they were murdered.
No 26: Mortier de Sandreville hotel, also called "Mortier hotel", "Sandreville hotel" or "Le Meyrat hotel": built in 1585, then redesigned in 1767, it has been classified since 1981 as a historical monument.
Nos. 29 bis and 31: Hôtel d'Albret. The first stone of this building was laid by the Constable Anne de Montmorency around 1550. It became the property of Henri du Plessis-Guénégaud and was transformed under the direction of François Mansart. Guénégaud gave it to his brother-in-law, César Phœbus d'Albret. In 1700, the facade was redone in its current state by Vautrain. At the end of the 18th century, the hotel was transformed into a light factory. It was bought by the city of Paris in 1989. After restoration, it became the headquarters of the Department of Cultural Affairs of the City of Paris.
No 30: Hôtel d'Alméras.
No 33: Barbes hotel, former Seré hotel, dating from the 17th century. The building on the street was destroyed in 1868 and replaced by a building set back from the street, corresponding to the alignment of the street decided at that time. The rear building, which adjoins the present Jardin des Rosiers, was threatened with demolition in 1961, but was saved thanks to a petition from the Friends of the Marais.
Nos. 34 and 36: Hôtel de Poussepin, Swiss Cultural Center,
Nos 35 and 37: Hôtel de Coulanges and Maison de l'Europe de Paris. The Rosiers - Joseph-Migneret garden is accessible through the hall of the Maison de l'Europe at these numbers.
38: entrance of the impasse des Arbalétriers with a historical marker recalling the murder of Louis d'Orléans in 1407.
No. 39: the Société des Cendres (1866), a foundry where precious metals were recovered from the waste of jewelers and goldsmiths. Rehabilitated in 2014 as a clothing store. In the basement, a small museum exhibits some elements of the old facility (tools, millstones and machines). A 35-meter high chimney standing in the heart of the store but invisible from the street has also been preserved. The book La société des cendres (ed. Studyrama, 2014) tells the story of the site.
No. 44: Hôtel Hérouet (at the corner of rue Vieille-du-Temple), once owned by Jean Hérouet.
47: site of the former Le Noirat and de Ligny hotels, demolished in 1939 and replaced by the current red brick building, the work of architect Henri Bans.
51: to access entrances A, B, C, and D of their building, residents must use an angled alley from rue de l'Abbé-Migne to rue des Blancs-Manteaux.
53: North entrance to Notre-Dame-des-Blancs-Manteaux Church
54: Hôtel de Jaucourt, today occupied by the interministerial service of the Archives of France.
Nos. 55 and 57: pawnshop (Crédit municipal de Paris), installed on a part of the Blancs-Manteaux convent, on the site of a part of the old Philippe Auguste enclosure. A tower, the so-called "Pierre-Alvart" tower, is visible from the door of No. 57 bis.
56: Claustrier house, built on the plans of Mansart de Sagonne, and the Fontenay hotel, occupied by the interministerial service of the French archives.
No. 58: Hôtel Le Tonnelier de Breteuil, dating from 1626, annexed to the Hôtel de Soubise in 1862.
No. 58 bis: Hôtel d'Assy, former Hôtel Marin de la Châtaigneraie, from 1701, also annexed to the Hôtel de Soubise.
No. 60: Hôtel de Soubise (National Archives).

 

Static Code
[[booking]]
  • No comments yet.
  • Add a review

    You May Also Be Interested In